Tuesday 24 February 2009

IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL (16.02.09)




J:
Well, you know how people talk about Monday morning blues, Monday for us felt more like Monday morning nightmare, because everything just seemed to be going wrong. I don't even know where to start...
That morning I woke up feeling great, out of bed early but I didn't mind because today was a big day for JeweL. We had a very important meeting with a very important buyer and retailer, so we were hyped. Spoke to L as I left my house (a lot of excited motivational talk was going on). I was on my way to our manufacturers warehouse, when L said to me "J you better call him before you go any further"- so that's what I did and when I spoke to him I was not impressed (p****d really). Man said our samples weren't ready and he wasn't sure at that moment when they would be. I felt like going down there and knocking him out, he knew about the meeting we had that day and just how important it was to us, KMT!!!!!! Please people, you need to know that all this happened before 9AM, like I said earlier, Monday morning nightmare. After that I went to L's house, she was at home because her boiler was playing up and the nightmare just kept getting worse..L tell 'em what happened at your house..
L:
My boiler broke down!!! p*****. No heating, no hot water. Praise the Lord it didn't happen last week, when it was snowing and bitterly cold (brrrrrrrr). Anyways a plumber came over on Monday morning and couldn't repair it so he told me it would cost up to 1k to get and install a new one!! I'm not prepared for this right now, I'm thinking about paying manufacturers and pattern makers - NOT buying a friggin boiler. J was almost in tears when she heard what plumber said. WOW, 1k I did not budget for. As much as we can not plan what will happen in future we can definitely start preparing for downfalls. This lesson has taught me whether for home or for business you need to SAVE & budget for the unknown factors that creep up when you least expect!! You never know when something like this will occur and you need Ps (for those who don't know that means paper, money, cash etc LOL) to help you sort it!! Luckily for me, I had some money aside and even luckier for me is I had other contacts so a plumber that I knew from my previous job came to take a look at the boiler. Thank God and bless this man that he found the problem and fixed it costing me a mere 60quid£££. Do you know how many 60quids there are in 1k???? Yea mate, it's a frigging lot, LOL!!! That's why it's always good to get a second and sometimes third opinion!!
If we learnt anything that day, we learnt an invaluable lesson about business and life in general and that is the importance of our reliance on others, because nobody is an island. On Monday we were completely at the mercy of our manufacturer and that thieving plumber, we had no control over any of those situations, which is a horrible feeling. In life and in business you have to plan and take into account the shortcomings and misgivings of others, so you're not in a place where your plans and ambitions are put on hold because of others. People can slow you down and hold you back, but only you can cripple yourself; IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL!

No comments:

Post a Comment